RS-232 / DMX512 Generator
The RS-232 / DMX512 Generator was developed as as a low cost and compact equipment to integrate lighting technology into multimedia projects, hardware based media controllers or industrial controls.
In contrast to proprietary control equipment the RS-232 / DMX512 Generator can be operated with any kind of software which is capable to transmit and receive via a serial COM port.
Primarily all commands are sent and all feedback is received in ASCII text format. As an alternative to ASCII syntax, the most essential features of the Generator can be operated with a compact binary data format, which provides a higher throughput and easier handling together with some kind of control application.
The range of use is not restricted to Windows-, Linux- or Macintosh computers. Suitable serial ports are available at many handheld devices, industrial controls or special hardware based media controls.
This way the DMX lighting bus is easily integrated into applications, which support serial ports together with a scripting language. Office applications can be used for control, too, if appropriate DLL libraries are added.
In a most simple case - especially to set up or debug lighting installations - manual interactive operation is possible with a simple terminal program.
In addition to the preferred data rate of 115200 baud, 57600, 38400, 19200 and 9600 baud may be chosen with the rotary switch "Select".
The actual lighting scene is buffered internally. It is permanently transmitted at the DMX bus until it is modified by another command. Interruption of the RS-232 connection has no influence on the DMX bus pattern. After power cycling or turn of the rotary switch, automatically preset no.0 is loaded.
A green LED signals the presence of data traffic and sufficient supply voltage.
This interface is intentionally kept simple: only the lines RxD, TxD and signal ground are necessary.
At pin8 (standard CTS handshake out) a regulated voltages +5V is permanently fed out (max.300 mA at 9V supply voltage, derating). This simulates permanent readiness to receive commands. On the other hand it is usable to supply external Wifi, Bluetooth and other radio modules. Upon request we assemble the Generator with a 9 pin "male","DCE" wired SubD connector and +5V out at pin9, which complies better with some commercially available radio modules..
The most essential commands:
- Any DMX channel no.1 to 512 can be set to any level by sending a short sequence of ASCII text to the box (8 bit of resolution). Binary commands are implemented as a more compact alternative.
- Additionally combinations of RGB colors may be set at 3 subsequent DMX channels with simple ASCII text commands.
- For any DMX channel a fade transition can be executed automatically, duration programmable up to 31.9 seconds. This diminuishes the expense for design of complex lighting sequences considerably. Any number of fade processes can be active simultaneously on all DMX channels.
- The flexibly configurable chaser feature loads sequences of presets (=lighting scenes) automatically in a cyclic manner to DMX OUT. Softly faded transitions are possible. The flash feature pushes all DMX channels to a defined level for a short period of time.
- The cycle of DMX data packets can be set by command between 24 and 512 channels. If a DMX channel out of the active DMX cycle is adressed, the packet length is readjusted automatically.
- The actual state of the RS-232 / DMX Generator (transmit buffer and system configuration) can be saved permanently as a preset (=lighting scene). Up to 384 presets can be stored and be reloaded at any time.
The transition from the previous lighting scene is performed with the actual fade time.
During power-on and after turn of the rotary switch preset no.0 is loaded automatically.
Rugged aluminum case.
Mechanical dimensions: Length ca 9.5 cm (incl. connectors), width 11.3 cm, height 3.1cm.
DMX-OUT: standard compliant 5 pin XLR connector
(optionally available with 3 pin XLR or with an 8 pin detachable clamp)
||The DMX transmitter is NOT galvanically isolated from the controller circuit.
Optionally DMX OUT is available with galvanic isolation
An in-plug adaptor for 230V AC with "europlug" is delivered along with the DMX Generator. For special applications, other supplies with regulated or unregulated DC output can be used (min. current output 200 mA). The optimum supply voltage is 9 Volt, but up to 16 Volt are permitted.
Similar products made by Cinetix: